Friday, January 31, 2014

Ode to Rat

dear big black rat in my kitchen, i know we've had our differences. but i already fed you, sang songs to you, and we even ran around the house a couple of times. but my heart has grown weary now. and i think yours too, since i just saw you trying to squeeze yourself out of my house, and my life, in a little corner beside the cabinet. but we both know you won't fit. i'm not saying you're fat. i'm just saying that i already mustered enough courage to open the door to your freedom and finally let you go. so go now, turn your hairy back towards me, and leave. i have learned to forgive you and, in the process, forgive myself for letting "us" go. you will always occupy a special place in my heart. and an irrational and blind hatred from my sister. she never approved of us to begin with.

No comments: