Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Melancholic Body Builder

Our encounter was serendipitous. Our days were filled with longing. Our nights were wrapped in magic. Our verbal exchanges were priceless. I was almost swept away. But you were merely playing a game.

It was over even before it started. I was honest, you became petulant. I said I was drawn to you, you said I was unattractive. I told you that you are more than your body, you cried. I said, “you are beautiful”, you kissed me.

I have seen your beauty. But my honesty frightened you and it is not in my nature to lie.

I saw beyond your handsome face and muscular body. I took a peek inside your eyes and saw the sadness you are swimming in.

I was drawn to you.

I was willing to swim with you. But instead of reaching for my hand, you swam away.

My confidence perturbed you.

Like you, I’m a player too. But I ceased playing the game when I told you the truth.

I know you could, and would, hurt me. But I was willing to suffer the exquisite pain you so willingly flaunted.

I only have one heart and I need to protect it. You have been careless with your body thinking that they will never hurt your heart. But your carelessness does not deceive me. Your free spirit does not hide the pain that pierces your heart.

I see you, my melancholic body builder, I see you.

I am neither a trophy to be won nor a medal to be worn.

This is who I am.

1 comment:

Pensive Fool said...

it is true that we become more attractive once we stop playing the game. it is extremely sad when the other person is conflicted between playing and stopping the game altogether. i gave him a glimpse of how emotionally available i am. now he will never know the depth of how much i was willing to give to him.