Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Saying I love you

It is the biggest gamble a person can make. Professing an all consuming emotion that places the speaker at a very vulnerable state. For the person saying the words, it is an expression, a catharsis, a higher level of being honest. At the same time, it opens a floodgate of expectations, a need to be reciprocated. Though a load has been lifted, a new burden takes its place. Will he say he loves me too? Is he feeling the same thing? Have I opened myself too much for him? Then the speaker comes face to face with the reality that saying the words "I love you" is like going down a one way street. The words are uttered, its meaning felt, and it cannot be withdrawn. It is a decision that the speaker commits to. It is an admission that the love he feels is so overwhelming that, regardless of the feelings and reaction of the recipient, such an emotion needs to be expressed.

"I love you. You don't have to say anything. I just wanted you to know."

No comments: