Saturday, May 28, 2005

Dear readers

Allow me to deviate from the usual pattern of stories and articles posted in my blog to clarify certain points brought to my attention as a result of communicating with some of the readers.

First, I write when inspiration hits me. It might be triggered by a song heard, a phrase read, an uttered word, a silent moment shared, an unexpected image, a whisper from God. This would explain the irregularity of uploads (plus the fact that I have a job and a life to boot). As such, anyone can do it. Just get a pen and a sheet of paper, go to a quiet place, take five deep breaths and clear your mind, and then start writing. Don't edit yourself. Don't think that what you're writing is jibberish. Just put it all down in paper. Tears might start falling from your eyes. Or you might find yourself laughing at what you wrote. But at the end of the exercise you will realize that you actually wrote something.

Second, the emotions expressed in the stories and articles do not necessarily reflect the current state of my mind and my heart. I wrote some of the articles long before they were uploaded. Some I wrote for thirty minutes and immediately posted them. There are other stories that I finished writing but I'm still not contented with the way it is written. There are two stories I wrote that I don't have the courage to post.

Third, I write these stories and essays to explore the thought processes, the heart, and the soul of the Filipino gay man. I nuance and problematize such things in order to contribute to the growing discourse on gay culture in the Philippines. The stories and articles are not necessarily actual events in my life. But they are bits and pieces of the truths held by every gay man in the country- every hurt, every joy, break up, love making, one night stand, etcetera.

So, dear readers, I thank you for reading my musings on being gay. To those who posted their comments, double thanks. I truly enjoy reading all of your comments (especially from the egroups).

And you're right, Yvet. There are many silent readers. I almost lost faith. I was about to be consumed with hopelessness, feeling that I am a lone voice in the wilderness. Then they started to reveal themselves. The world doesn't seem so small after all.

No comments: